Monday, August 22, 2011

Back in the Swing. . .

There have been a lot of changes in my life recently, all good, but all of which took me out of the writing game for a while. Now that things have settled, I sat down to reassess which gear both I and my WIPs are in.

Suffice to say, “Neutral” doesn’t cut the mustard.

Real Life is busy and demands a lot of attention. Between day jobs, spouses, dating, kids, responsibilities at home, etc, it’s hard to sit down and focus on a hobby that, for many of us, doesn’t pay. Or at least, not yet. And while some excuses are certainly valid, the reality is if we want to succeed in this world, we have to make time.  The Next Great Idea is just that until you actually sit down and put fingers to keyboard. Or pen to paper if you’re old school.

There are WIPs to grow (just add words and water!), MS's to submit, queries to polish (*cough*rewrite*cough*), and blogs to keep updated. But as I get back into the swing of things, I’m curious how others get the ball rolling again.

What do you do when returning from a writing hiatus?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, what is this "hiatus" of which you speak?

    :)

    Pick your poison. Do you want to get the complete manuscript out the door first? If so, hit the query. Do you have an ambitious Shiny New Idea writing its own outline on your bathroom mirror? If so, steam that baby up and start copying it down. Do you need order? Turn off the Internet, set the timer and don't raise your hands from the keyboard for an hour (except in case of fire of SkyNet attack).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete